Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)

As noted earlier this month, I have a useless room in the basement that used to house an oil tank.  I want to turn it into a cold storage room (in spite of having an asphalt driveway right outside).  Let’s see how that goes.

When I last left you, I had the wall bricked and framed.  Part two involves day three and four.

Day three was mostly a bust.  It was too hot to do much of anything, most of the day was spent sitting around.  When I did get involved, the first thing was another trip to the hardware store (with the help of a neighbour) to pick up the pine boards, and a roll of insulation (I didn’t need much).

Home again, I put the boards away (most of the afternoon was gone by then), but I did tackle the insulation.  Now, I already has two pieces of R-20, and two really old (beaten up) pieces of R-12.  I used the R-20 between the studs, as well as the salvageable pieces of the old R-12, the rest I shoved into the gap between the last stud and the metal post.  I had Empty spaces left so I broke open the R-12 roll, and filled those spaces.

I continued on the other exterior wall, and the long strip I had left, I mostly ran the insulation cross-ways along the exterior walls (I ended up being two or three feet shy). I then secured the extra fiberglass in place with roofing nails.

Not quite done (and by then I was dripping sweating), I cut a coupe pieces of roofing paper and secured that (with roofing nails) over top of that, creating a uniform look.  Finally, I replaced the temperature sensor (top right in photo) I set up the week previous.  Now I am done for the day.

Roofing paper, insulation, and temperature sensor
Roofing paper, insulation, and temperature sensor
Roofing paper covering the insulation
Roofing paper covering the insulation

A divergence, by the time I was done in that room, the temperature was registering at 23 degrees, which dipped back down to 20 a few hours later.  Mostly, the thermometer has been calculating a temperature of 18 to 20 degrees, when just one floor up the temperature has been consistently higher (23.3 right now).

Day four brings on the easier, yet fine-tuning part.  Started around 09:30, and finished a little after noon (12:45 comes to mind).

I got my tools, a one-by-six board, measured (holding the other end of the tape in place – against the post – with a spare two-by-four) the length of the hole, cut the board, and put into place.  To help level (and I knew which way it had to go), I pre-drilled and then drove a screw into the right hand side.  I then started lifting the left, until I had an a-ha moment.

I double-checked with a tape measure, the distance between the board and the top of the hole.  The board has to go up a fair amount.  So much so, that it exposes the bottom of the frame by about a quarter of an inch on the left hand side.  Since the right hand side cannot go any lower, I grin and bear it, level it, and drive in the rest of the screws.  What’s saving me is that the weather shield is there, and that fact that you cannot see the frame gap from a standing position.  Time for another board.

The next two boards go on almost uneventful.  The worst of it is the fact of the roofing nails holding on the weather shield sometimes lands where the screw wants to go.  I have one boo-boo before I preemptively marked where the nails are, and which direction to go (up or down).

The last (horizontal) board was the trickiest.  I had enough space underneath the siding (I made sure I would have a little bit of a gap), but it still wouldn’t fit.  Then I realized…The post flares out at the top!  So I had to notch the board on the left.  Went a little excessive to the right, but it worked in the end.

Finally, my trim pieces.  Because of the pipe, I had to notch that as well, but I tried a cutoff over top which worked, so I cut a proper (six inch) piece to cover up the notch out.  Because the oil tank is in the way, I had to put the screws in ahead of time, position the trim piece, and then drive the screws in the rest of the way.  Looks pretty good.

Finally, I cut the last piece for the other side, marked where the screws had to go (so they didn’t land on top of other screws), made sure the trim piece was plum, and screwed it in.  I then get to see how uneven the foundation face is.  Oh well, nothing a little (or a lot of) silicone won’t fix. Too bad the stuff I had dried up – something for another day (to go alongside painting).

The new exterior wall
The new exterior wall

So next up is painting, setting up a vent, and sealing it all.  I don’t know if that warrants a part three or not.  We shall see.  Cheers!

Advertisements
Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s