Alternatively titled, the evolution of hobbies and fulfilling their needs.
This time last month (to the day) I started a blog entry, progressing for a week and a half about building a network-attached storage PC. I noted within the first few paragraphs that this would not be an inexpensive project, which now I am ready to talk about cost (what it takes), other options, and in general how hobbies (and their needs) develop over time. But lets start with an epilogue to the last entry. Continue reading “Musings of a NAS Server”→
So over the holidays, I bought a new (275GB) SSD to take over the 60GB SSD I already had in place (which was dedicated for the Linux system files). If done right, I would have around 200GB for CCache and Out folders for a few ROMs. Why? It comes down to cutting Android compiles into a fraction of the time, since there is a lot of I/O work done compiling code – and there are dozens of gigabytes of code to go through with every build.
The package arrived around the time I posted the last video. The easy part was running CloneZilla (again) to duplicate the contents from the Kingston 60GB to the Crucial 275GB. Then all that was left would be to check alignment, create the new “speed” partition, and then do the drive swap.
This has little to do with Android, except for how I got here…
I have been using my Lenovo M91 for about a year now (the core components – case, mobo, CPU – I have bought for $10 as it was surplus). When I put this PC together, I cannibalized the remaining parts from my older M58 (Video Card, RAM, HDD, SSD) which included 12GB of RAM. Three sticks of four. For a four slot machine. This means back then, I was going from and going to a situation where I would not be setting up my PC to full potential. Continue reading “Halloween Special – The RAM Episode”→
I was a little concerned when I found out the serial number landed in the recall phase (supposed to be a post recall device), but the battery is of the right type (B01).
Backed up all the partitions (except userdata to MicroSD), updated the stock OS to LP5.1 (was optimizing apps in the above photo), backed up recovery a second time, and flashed TWRP. Just tested by 4.4.4 build of CarbonROM, sadly got a bootloop. No worries, my 5.1.1 version seems to be booting fine (at the setup wizard as I am writing).
I maintain a custom ROM, that is, firmware for a phone that is modified from what you get straight out of the box. This one isn’t all that different, some apps replaced, several more removed altogether. That isn’t the problem though. Continue reading “My first hard brick.”→