So over the holidays, I bought a new (275GB) SSD to take over the 60GB SSD I already had in place (which was dedicated for the Linux system files). If done right, I would have around 200GB for CCache and Out folders for a few ROMs. Why? It comes down to cutting Android compiles into a fraction of the time, since there is a lot of I/O work done compiling code – and there are dozens of gigabytes of code to go through with every build.
The package arrived around the time I posted the last video. The easy part was running CloneZilla (again) to duplicate the contents from the Kingston 60GB to the Crucial 275GB. Then all that was left would be to check alignment, create the new “speed” partition, and then do the drive swap.
I meant to post this over a month ago … life has a tendency to be busy.
I started the HTPC craze over a decade ago with an ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon card. At that point I did not have much of a theatre, mostly watching media on a 15″ (later a 17″) CRT monitor. After I moved into the house years later, I picked up a TV tuner card and installed it for the PC in my office but never used it to the full potential, or at least nearly as much as when I was still recording shows in the apartment.
At one point, when I started investing in $10 PC’s (hospital surplus systems), I ran into a problem. The new motherboard was positioned in a way not to accommodate my video card and my TV Tuner. I had to make a choice. Knowing a HTPC was back in the works (I must have talked about this before), I saved it for that.
A few months back, I replaced my 17″ Samsung monitor with a 22″ Lenovo. The thought of setting up both came across my mind, but I had to defer that thought due to my limited desk space. “If I didn’t have the fax machine, there would be no problem” I thought. In a world where I have a MagicJack for my phone line and where the machine has not sent a proper fax in years otherwise (I cannot even get a clear copy), I felt it was time to lose the dead weight.
This has little to do with Android, except for how I got here…
I have been using my Lenovo M91 for about a year now (the core components – case, mobo, CPU – I have bought for $10 as it was surplus). When I put this PC together, I cannibalized the remaining parts from my older M58 (Video Card, RAM, HDD, SSD) which included 12GB of RAM. Three sticks of four. For a four slot machine. This means back then, I was going from and going to a situation where I would not be setting up my PC to full potential. Continue reading “Halloween Special – The RAM Episode”→
Yesterday was my birthday, so I started a video setting up a gift to myself, using CloneZilla, a StarTech adapter, and other tools.
I recently replaced my EeePC 900HA (ASUS) with a ThinkPad T420 (Lenovo). The T420 came with a 128GB SSD, and as much as I would have appreciated the speed boost, 128GB would be a downgrade for me coming from the 160GB platter drive I had in the EeePC. Considering I maintain two OS’es on laptops (WIndows and GNU/Linux), the estimated 18 to 30GB for shared data between them is not enough. Continue reading “My Birthday SSD Adventure”→
Poor timing for this project, being a very hot and humid day.
I haven’t had much recent luck with bed frames. The one I had for over a decade (built to handle a waterbed), much neglected (the fasteners were slowly loosening); a bracket cracked, and eventually snapped off.
Enter the stand-in. It was gifted to me in my time of need. It wasn’t until I got it home when I realized that it was not going to work “out of the box”. It required a foot board (one I did not have), and it assumed a one-piece box spring (due to my house I require a split box spring). So I made it work, but I cursed the thing since day one, and every time my shin hit that makeshift foot board.